Sunday, July 16, 2006

Airplane Busy Bag

(from 8/2005)
Dillon, my almost-7-year-old, took a trip from Maryland to Oregon with my Mom, to visit her oldest brother and his wife and family. I made Dillon an "Airplane Busy Bag" to keep him occupied during the long flights and layovers.


My first attempt used medium-weight interfacing and ziploc bags. However, Dillon quickly ripped two of the bags, and one of the handles came out of its seam. So I made a second version, with clear vinyl and velcro for the pockets, and handles that looped all the way inside the bag. I also used some iron-on vinyl to make the outer fabric more sturdy, not to mention spill-proof. The second bag made it through the ten-day journey beautifully, and now Dillon uses it in the car.


The first attempt:






The finished product:




No comments: