Sunday, July 16, 2006

Abbreviations

Thanks to Amy, who emailed to ask what on Earth some of my abbreviations meant! Here's a list:


KS = Kwik Sew, a wonderful pattern company that makes simple, easy-to-follow patterns. See their website at www.kwiksew.com. When I write "KS####", I'm indicating which pattern I've used for the item, and I usually try to link to it, b/c it's a pain to have to search it out.


KSFT = Kwik Sew For Toddlers, which is a book of master patterns that you can use to sew pretty much a whole wardrobe for your toddler. I have loved the hoodie, raglan shirt, and t-shirt patterns so far, but it also has pants, shorts, dresses, jackets, etc, in sizes T1-T4. For comparison's sake, Lucas wears a size 2T in RTW, and I make T2s from KS for him. And then there is also...


KSFC = Kwik Sew For Children. I don't have this one yet, but it's on my "must buy soon" list, so I can make Dillon more stuff. It has sizes 4/5 up to a 12, so will last quite a while.


RTW = Ready To Wear, or store bought clothing.


Big 3 = This means the "big three" pattern companies, or McCalls, Simplicity, and Butterick. I'm not sure where this term came from, but I believe it's referring to the fact that most of these patterns tend to run big on the sizes. You can buy their patterns at Joann Fabrics. If you sign up for their mailing list (in-store, or I think you can do it online), you will get notifications of their sales. At least once a month one or two of these brandsd will go on sale for $1 each, which is a good deal.


JA = Joann Fabrics, link in the previous. Never pay full price here!


WA = Walmart. Though not the greatest source for sewing needs, sometimes I'm surprised by what I can find here. My ever-popular ladybug flannel came from WA, and for just $2.84 a yard! I also buy needles for my sewing machines, cording and binding (it's cheaper than at JA's for these things), and interfacing here.






That's all I can think of right now, but if you see something I haven't explained, let me know!

No comments: